55 Top Gloria Steinem Quotes You Need To Know
1. Any woman who chooses to behave like a full human being should be warned that the armies of the status quo will treat her as something of a dirty joke . . . She will need her sisterhood.
2. A feminist is anyone who recognizes the equality and full humanity of women and men.
3. Women may be the one group that grows more radical with age..
Check out 25 Top Motivational Jim Rohn Quotes You Need To Know
4. Men should think twice before making widowhood women’s only path to power.
5. A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle.
6. Writing is the only thing that when I do it, I don’t feel I should be doing something else.
Continue reading the best of Gloria Steinem quotes below
7. Feminism has never been about getting a job for one woman. It’s about making life more fair for women everywhere. It’s not about a piece of the existing pie; there are too many of us for that. It’s about baking a new pie.
8. Once we give up searching for approval we often find it easier to earn respect.
9. Empathy is the most radical of human emotions.
Check Out 10 Top Alfred Nobel Quotes You Need To Know
10. Rich people plan for three generations. Poor people plan for Saturday night.
11. Law and justice are not always the same. When they aren’t, destroying the law may be the first step toward changing it.
12. I have yet to hear a man ask for advice on how to combine marriage and a career.
Check out some Funny Marriage Jokes that will make you laugh
13. A liberated woman is one who has sex before marriage and a job after.
14. Women’s total instinct for gambling is satisfied by marriage
15. Having someone who looks like us but thinks like them is worse than having no one at all.
16. Suddenly, I began to wonder: If one in three or four American women had an abortion at some time in her life, a common statistical estimate, even in those days of illegality, then why, WHY should this single surgical procedure be deemed a criminal act?
Share these Gloria Steinem quotes with your friends because they will thank you
17. Each others’ lives are our best textbooks.
18. No one ever got radicalized by being grateful
19. Happy or Unhappy, families are all mysterious.
20. A pedestal is as much a prison as any small, confined space.
Check out some awesome Optimism Quotes
21. Dying seems less sad than having lived too little.
22. I do not like to write – I like to have written.
23. If the shoe doesn’t fit, must we change the foot?
24. Women have two choices: either she’s a feminist or a masochist.
Check out Top Steven Spielberg Quotes You Need To Know
25. We are the women our parents warned us against, and we are proud
26. One day an army of gray-haired women may quietly take over the Earth!
27. A woman reading Playboy feels a little like a Jew reading a Nazi manual.
28. Self-esteem isn’t everything; it’s just that there’s nothing without it.
29. A lot of my generation are living out the un-lived lives of our mothers.
30 The first problem for all of us, men and women, is not to learn but to unlearn.
31. Without leaps of imagination or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities
32. The art of life is not controlling what happens to us, but using what happens to us
Check out Top Napoleon Hill Quotes You Need To Know To Be More Successful
33. America is an enormous frosted cupcake in the middle of millions of starving people.
34. We’ll never solve the feminization of power until we solve the masculinity of wealth.
35. Power can be taken, but not given. The process of the taking is empowerment in itself.
36. We need to remember across generations that there is as much to learn as there is to teach.
Check out some awesome Joan Crawford quotes you need to know
37. Don’t think about making women fit the world — think about making the world fit women.”
38. Far too many people are looking for the right person, instead of trying to be the right person.
39. When the past dies, there is mourning, but when the future dies our imaginations are compelled to carry it on.
40. The word ‘still’ has entered my life. People say to me, ‘You’re still traveling, you’re still wearing blue jeans.’
Sharing is caring, so please share these Gloria Steinem quotes on social media
41. Women are always saying,”We can do anything that men can do.” But Men should be saying,”We can do anything that women can do.
42. Also, one of the simplest paths to deep change is for the less powerful to speak as much as they listen, and for the more powerful to listen as much as they speak.
43. In retrospect, perhaps the biggest reason my mother was cared for but not helped for twenty years was the simplest: Her functioning was not that necessary to the world.
Check out some amazing Wayne Dyer quotes that will inspire you to lead a better life
44. MY LAST HOPE IS to open up the road—literally. So far it’s been overwhelmingly masculine turf. Men embody adventure, women embody hearth and home, and that has been pretty much it.
45. No man can call himself liberal, or radical, or even a conservative advocate of fair play, if his work depends in any way on the unpaid or underpaid labor of women at home, or in the office.
46. Basically, I feel different from most other women. I feel I don’t have to put on an act. If I’m not feminine enough for someone, I don’t care, because femininity is different in everyone’s mind.
47. The best way for us to cultivate fearlessness in our daughters and other young women is by example. If they see their mothers and other women in their lives going forward despite fear, they’ll know it’s possible.
48. Altogether, if I’d been looking at nothing but the media all these years, I would be a much more discouraged person-especially given the notion that only conflict is news, and that objectivity means being evenhandedly negative.
49. When she visited me in New York during her sixties and seventies, she always told taxi drivers that she was eighty years old (so they will tell me how young I look”), and convinced theater ticket sellers that she had difficulty in hearing long before she really did (so they’ll give us seats in the front row”).
50. I’ve learned from these events that self-esteem plays as much a part in the destiny of nations as it does in the lives of individuals; that self-hatred leads to the need either to dominate or to be dominated; that citizens who refuse to obey anything but their own conscience can transform their countries; in short, that self-esteem is the basis of any real democracy.
51. But, as historian Gerda Lerner has pointed out, it is a shared characteristic of women’s history—or the real history of any marginalized group—to be lost and discovered, lost again and re-discovered, re-lost and re-re-discovered, until the margins have transformed the center. As in a tree or a seed, the margins are where the growth is. Who would want to be anywhere else?
52. However sugarcoated and ambiguous, every form of authoritarianism must start with a belief in some group’s greater right to power, whether that right is justified by sex, race, class, religion or all four. However
far it may expand, the progression inevitably rests on unequal power and airtight roles within the family.
53. During World War II, a few years after Norma Jeane’s time in an orphanage, thousands of children were evacuated from the air raids and poor rations of London during the Blitz, and placed with volunteer families or group homes in the English countryside or even in other countries. It was only postwar studies comparing these children to others left behind that opened the eyes of many experts to the damage caused by emotional neglect. In spite of living in bombed-out ruins and constant fear of attack, the children who had been left with their mothers and families tended to fare better than those who had been evacuated to physical safety. Emotional security, continuity, a sense of being loved unconditionally for oneself—all those turn out to be as important to a child’s development as all but the most basic food and shelter.
54. It still would be years before I understood the seriousness of my change of view. Much later, I recognized it in “Revolution,” the essay of Polish journalist Ryszard Kapuscinski, who describes the moment when a man on the edge of a crowd looks back defiantly at a policeman — and when that policeman senses a sudden refusal to accept his defining gaze — as the imperceptible moment in which rebellion is born. “All books about all revolutions begin with a chapter that describes the decay of tottering authority or the misery and sufferings of the people,” Kapuscinski writes. “They should begin with a psychological chapter — one that shows how a harassed, terrified man suddenly breaks his terror, stops being afraid. This unusual process — sometimes accomplished in an instant, like a shock — demands to be illustrated. Man gets rid of fear and feel free. Without that, there would be no revolution.
55. No wonder male religious leaders so often say that humans were born in sin—because we were born to female creatures. Only by obeying the rules of the patriarchy can we be reborn through men. No wonder priests and ministers in skirts sprinkle imitation birth fluid over our heads, give us new names, and promise rebirth into everlasting life.
56. This is no simple reform. It really is a revolution. Sex and race because they are easy and visible differences have been the primary ways of organizing human beings into superior and inferior groups and into the cheap labor on which this system still depends. We are talking about a society in which there will be no roles other than those chosen or those earned. We are really talking about humanism.
Enjoyed these Gloria Steinem quotes? Then share them with your friends!
Want more really interesting quotes by famous people?
Liked this page?Then why not get our iOS app from Apple App Store? Then you will have the world's biggest collection of jokes and inspiring quotes right in your pocket, and the app will work faster than the site, so it will save you time and keep you entertained.
Latest posts by Roman Marshanski (see all)
- Top 10 Worst Evil Dictators And Glorious Leaders With Inglorious Deaths - February 28, 2017
- Why You Should Expect Every US Politician To Get PhD At Your Expense - July 10, 2016
- 10 War and Peace Quotes I Recommend You Read - July 9, 2016